Since 2002 the VT GIS Community has recognized valuable colleagues by presenting the "Outstanding Achievement Award" (OAA). The OAA is given to a Vermont GIS Professional or Citizen GIS User who has effectively used and promoted GIS as a tool to improve his or her community at a local, regional, statewide, national, or international scale. Tenacity, patience, creativity, and commitment describe this person's approach to the challenges of scarce human and budget resources, apathy, and fragmented decision-making. While in one sense GIS is "only" a technology, the process of recreating the world in a GIS is the first step towards turning visions of the future into reality. We commend the recipient of this award for engaging in this process with enthusiasm and respect.
- 2002: Gary Smith of Green Mountain GeoGraphics (above)
- 2003: Harry Roush of the Vermont Mapping Program (on the left in picture to the right)
- 2004: Jarrod Harper of the VT Electric Power Co.(on the right in picture to the right)
- 2005: Kevin Behm of the Addison County RPC (on the right in the picture below)
- 2006: Bill Hegman of Middlebury College (on the left in the picture below)
- 2007: Jeff Nugent of Windham Regional Commission (picture below)
- 2008: Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne, UVM Spatial Analysis Lab (on the left in the picture at right bottom of page)
- 2009: Johnathan Croft, VTrans (on the right in the picture at right bottom of page)
- 2010: Steve Sharp, VCGI (on the left in picture at left bottom of page)
- 2011: David Healy, Stone Environmental, Inc. (on the right in picture at left bottom of page)
- 2014: Leslie Pelch, VCGI (on the left in picture at bottom center of page)
- 2017: Dan Farrell, The Nature Conservancy (on right in picture at bottom center of page and in bottom picture)
In order to nominate someone for the Outstanding Achievement Award, you can simply enter information via this online form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F9PW5FS Nominations are accepted at any time (deadline for consideration for 2017 award is April 11, 2017), and the award is presented at a spring or summer VT GIS conference.
Please take the time to recognize one of your colleagues or acquaintances, because the people who inspire us deserve to know it!
If you would like to participate in the process of choosing the recipient of this award by joining the OAA committee, contact Leslie at (802) 882-3002 or Via Email. Members of the committee will review the nominations received, solicit more nominations if necessary, and choose the recipient via an agreed upon method. You could expect to spend no more than 3 hours on this effort in phone conferences and email.