The VDH Public Health Statistics Team is offering a 2018 VDH-GIS internship opportunity that is open to current or recent university students with intermediate to advanced ArcGIS software skills. Internship responsibilities will range across multiple tasks, including but not limited to:
- Crafting static public health GIS map products as needs arise.
- Performing public health GIS spatial analyses as needs arise.
- Configuring ArcGIS Online data, web maps, and web map application templates.
- Using ArcGIS ModelBuilder, Pro Tasks, and python scripting to automate frequently-used workflows.
- Updating existing web maps and web mapping services relating to emergency preparedness, environmental health, and local health.
- Taking inventory of current VDH GIS data holdings and assisting with data updates.
- Assembling VDH metadata entries for select VDH-GIS data holdings.
- Geocoding public health GIS datasets
Estimated Hours and Pay
The internship calls for working 30 hours per week for 12 weeks between May 29 and September 28. The intern will be paid bi-weekly as a temporary paygrade 5 state employee.
The VDH GIS Manager, along with other VDH staff, will oversee all work performed by the VDH-GIS intern. The Vermont Department of Health will allocate office space and a computer for the VDH-GIS intern at 108 Cherry Street in Burlington, VT. All work will be performed at 108 Cherry Street.
A selection committee with representatives from the Health Surveillance (Public Health Statistics), Environmental Health, and Public Health Preparedness Divisions will conduct brief interviews with finalist internship candidates and will also make official internship offers.
Application and Questions
People interested in applying should email a letter of interest and a current resume to
AHS.VDHGIS@vermont.gov before Monday May 7th.
Questions and application extension requests can be sent to the same email address.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.