2017 GIS Training at VERMONT TECH: Registration Open!
VTC hosts an Introduction to GIS and GPS class taught by VCGI staff.
Approved for the following Continuing Education Credit:
- Society of American Foresters for 16 CFE credits in Category 1
- Wastewater (septic) system Designers 6 non-soil CE credits
- VT Land Surveyors Continuing Education 16.0 CEU, CE 491-0217
- Wastewaster Treatment Facility Operator Certification
Intro to GIS/GPS ($100) :
Participants will gain an understanding of fundamental geospatial concepts which they will then apply in learning how to use online mapping applications, consumer grade GPS receivers, and QGIS open source GIS software. QGIS will be used to explore and display geospatial data, to create new geospatial data, to perform simple geospatial analysis, and to compose basic maps appropriate for printing or publishing. Participants will develop a mapping question or project that they will explore and build on throughout the course. Training manual chapters from last year's class are posted below so you can check out what is covered or use them for self-training.
- April 12 - May 3 (Williston Campus) - Four Wednesday evenings, 4:00 - 8:00 PM. Click here to register: http://www.vtc.edu/academics/continuing-education-workforce-development/programs/green-trainings/civil-engineering
- September 20 - October 11(Randolph Campus) - Four Wednesday evenings, 4:00 - 8:00 PM. Click here to register: Please note that this one has been CANCELLED, though it is still showing up on the VTC registration page.
You can download the training Workbook materials used during the 2017 trainings below. If you would like a copy of the data referenced in the trainings you can download a data package! Go to the VCGI Data Products Page and look for VCGI Training Data.
Intro to GIS/GPS/QGIS (range from 162 KB to 2.7 MB)
Powerpoints in PDF format:
Training Manual Chapters in PDF format:
- Chapter 1: Mapping and Digital Data Fundamentals (PDF, 343 KB)
- Chapter 2: Planning a GIS Project (PDF, 162 KB)
- Chapter 3: Online Mapping Tools (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Chapter 4: Introduction to GPS (PDF, 653 KB)
- Chapter 5: Introduction to QGIS Projects, Data Layers and The Map View (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Chapter 6: Data Acquisition Methods, Procedures, and Issues (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Chapter 7: Layer Properties (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Chapter 8: Understanding and Using Attribute Data, Queries, and Analysis (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Chapter 9: Creating Map Layouts, Printing and Exporting (PDF, 1.3 MB )
Intro to ArcGIS 10.x Manual (2016) (PDF, 7 MB)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.