You will notice the following changes over the weekend (exact time will vary as changes propagate over the internet)...
Benefits to You
- Improved appearance
- Easier navigation
Streamlined data access
- Direct access to pre-packaged data
- Note: custom data/imagery download and tiled data download are no longer available - see technical explanation below
New/Updated Web Services:
- Dynamic image services enable enhanced access to more VT imagery
- Latest imagery is available via cache (including 2012 VT Orthos)
- New geocoding services
- Must have ArcGIS 10.x or higher to use new ArcGIS 10.1 web map services
Action You May Need to Take
- If you currently use VCGI's Basemap, Cached Imagery, or Geocoding Services, the domain remains maps.vcgi.org but you will need to redirect ArcGIS as indicated below:
Old ArcGIS 9.3.1
New ArcGIS 10.1
* replaced by VCGI_BASEMAP_SP
* replaced by VCGI_BASEMAP_WM
- If you are currently using VCGI's geocoding services, you will need to redirect as follows:
EGC_services/GCS_ E911_COMPOSITE_WM (planned)
EGC_services/GCS_ E911_ESITE_WM (planned)
More Great Things To Come
- Webinars to help you navigate the changes (Tour of the new website, How to connect to map and imagery services...)
- Data warehouse redesign. We will spend time in 2013 thinking about and re-designing how we store the data we archive as well as how it is made discoverable by and available to you.
- More cached imagery
- New USGS topo maps
- Enhancements to the new Interactive Map Viewer that may impact functionality and data available in the application.
Major Changes at VCGI: The Technical Explanation
New/Updated Web Services
- ArcIMS has been replaced - This is why custom download and tiled-data download options are no longer available.
- ArcGIS Server has been upgrade from 9.3.1 to 10.1 - this is why you need ArcGIS 10.1 or higher to use updated web services
- Dynamic image services enable enhanced access to more VT imagery - more information about this new service will be available soon; keep an eye on the webinar schedule!
- Latest imagery of all kinds is available via cache (including 2012)
- Basemap and Imagery are also available as OGC web map services and web cache services
- Complete server upgrade replaces current servers with virtual servers at the VT Dept. of Innovation and Information.
- same old data warehouse for now minus custom download and tile-download-tool (which may be re-added in the future)
- prepackaged and pre-staged zip downloads
Try the new Interactive Map Viewer December 1, and sign up for the demonstration webinar January 8!