Available in black and white or color infrared!
2012 VT Orthophotos (compressed, .jp2 files) have been posted for download at the VCGI Data Warehouse: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/warehouse/imagery!
This is the second flight of the third vintage of digital VT orthos, and the area covered includes Addison County, Orange County, and part of Washington County. Check this Index map for the exact boundaries: http://dware.vcgi.org/image_library/media_info/indexes/vintage_three_0_5_PAN.pdf
Specifications for this imagery include:
- 50 cm pixels (same as previous state ortho imagery)
- Black and White, Color, and Near Infrared will be available (previously only Black and White)
- Collected after the snow melts and before the trees leaf out (same as previous imagery)
- The horizontal accuracy of the orthorectified imagery shall meet or exceed a verified ASPRS Class I horizontal accuracy of +/- 1 meter RMSE (for both X and Y) for 50cm ground sample distance imagery and 2.44 meters at 95% confidence level according to the NSSDA standard methodology.
If you are interested in obtaining the uncompressed version of this imagery (geotiff) , it will be available for purchase as a stand-alone product until August 15, 2013. After that it will only be included in the Uncompressed VT 1:5k orthos (all vintages) product and the All Available Imagery product. Visit the products page for more info and to order.
A great opportunity to promote your mapping services!
Vermont's Town Officer Education Conferences (TOEC) bring together over 300 municipal officials and volunteers from around the state. Topics range from how to assess mobile homes to how to deal with aggrieved land owners! The conference sponsors invite businesses and nonprofits to participate as exhibitors in order to extend their products, services, and messages to our varied participants!
More info about the conference will be posted here in late February: http://www.uvm.edu/extension/community/?Page=toec.html
Please complete this form by March 4, 2013 and send it to Sally Cleveland at UVM Extension (address in form). Please call Sally at 802-773-3349 if you have any questions.
- Hilton Hotel, Burlington - April 3
- Lake Morey Resort, Fairlee - April 17
- Killington Grand Hotel, Killington - April 24
You will notice the following changes over the weekend (exact time will vary as changes propagate over the internet)...
Benefits to You
- Improved appearance
- Easier navigation
Streamlined data access
- Direct access to pre-packaged data
- Note: custom data/imagery download and tiled data download are no longer available - see technical explanation below
New/Updated Web Services:
- Dynamic image services enable enhanced access to more VT imagery
- Latest imagery is available via cache (including 2012 VT Orthos)
- New geocoding services
- Must have ArcGIS 10.x or higher to use new ArcGIS 10.1 web map services
Action You May Need to Take
- If you currently use VCGI's Basemap, Cached Imagery, or Geocoding Services, the domain remains maps.vcgi.org but you will need to redirect ArcGIS as indicated below:
Old ArcGIS 9.3.1
New ArcGIS 10.1
* replaced by VCGI_BASEMAP_SP
* replaced by VCGI_BASEMAP_WM
- If you are currently using VCGI's geocoding services, you will need to redirect as follows:
EGC_services/GCS_ E911_COMPOSITE_WM (planned)
EGC_services/GCS_ E911_ESITE_WM (planned)
More Great Things To Come
- Webinars to help you navigate the changes (Tour of the new website, How to connect to map and imagery services...)
- Data warehouse redesign. We will spend time in 2013 thinking about and re-designing how we store the data we archive as well as how it is made discoverable by and available to you.
- More cached imagery
- New USGS topo maps
- Enhancements to the new Interactive Map Viewer that may impact functionality and data available in the application.
Major Changes at VCGI: The Technical Explanation
New/Updated Web Services
- ArcIMS has been replaced - This is why custom download and tiled-data download options are no longer available.
- ArcGIS Server has been upgrade from 9.3.1 to 10.1 - this is why you need ArcGIS 10.1 or higher to use updated web services
- Dynamic image services enable enhanced access to more VT imagery - more information about this new service will be available soon; keep an eye on the webinar schedule!
- Latest imagery of all kinds is available via cache (including 2012)
- Basemap and Imagery are also available as OGC web map services and web cache services
- Complete server upgrade replaces current servers with virtual servers at the VT Dept. of Innovation and Information.
- same old data warehouse for now minus custom download and tile-download-tool (which may be re-added in the future)
- prepackaged and pre-staged zip downloads
Try the new Interactive Map Viewer December 1, and sign up for the demonstration webinar January 8!