In 1994 Act 204 (10 VSA Chapter 8) established the Vermont Center for Geographic Information, Inc (VCGI). In 2014, the VT Legislature passed legislation that made VCGI a division of ACCD. The goal of this change is to provide a higher level of stability and sustainability for the organization. VCGI is charged with the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategy for the Vermont Geographic Information System (VGIS). Further, VCGI is charged with ensuring that all data gathered by state agencies that is relevant to the VGIS shall be in a form that is compatible with, useful to, and shared with that geographic information system. If you would like to see more detail regarding the historical and legal basis of VCGI, click here.
Vermont GIS History:
The following information and documents were pulled together, scanned, and made available by Sara Moulton, longtime VTrans employee. Thank you for creating this archive, Sara!
There once was a time when digital geographic information did not exist in Vermont. Now, it is used throughout the state in many contexts.
The transition did not happen overnight. This site's catalog contains digital copies of artifacts related to the early history of GIS in Vermont to help people discover when and how GIS (geographic information systems) became established in Vermont.
If you have artifacts from this era you would like to contribute to the catalog, please contact VCGI's Outreach Coordinator.
- (1981) Using Interactive Computer Mapping to Teach Cartographic Concepts at Middlebury College
- (1983) The Creation of the Vermont State Data Base : a program of work
- (1983) A Geographic Information System for Vermont
- (1989) State of Vermont Conceptual System Design : Final Report for Phase II of Vermont's Comprehensive GIS Strategy Study
- (1989) Vermont Geographic Information System : annual report to the Legislature - March 1989
- (1989) Vermont's Geographic Information System: development to implementation
- (1990) GIS for Vermont communities : applications and concepts
- (1992) Vermont's GIS Four Years Later Lessons Learned
- (1993) Toward "VGIS 2000" : recommendations to the 1994 Vermont General Assembly on a Strategy for Vermont's Geographic Information
- (1994) Vermont Tackles the Fee Question
- (1996) Report on Whether the Department of Tax Should Copyright Digital Orthophotographic Data Files